Connecting Creatives. Convening Communities. Celebrating Cultures.
Job Title: Director of Operations
Manager Title: Executive Director
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
The Qatar America Institute for Culture (QAIC) is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that creates, curates and executes programs and research that amplify the prominence of all forms of art and culture from the United States, Qatar, and the larger Arab and Islamic worlds.
Reporting to the Executive Director and Senior Director, and working with other Directors, the Director of Operations oversees the overall strategic and executive direction for the Qatar America Institute for Culture to ensure that finances, human resources, office, and administration management, accounting, and overall operational efforts are initiated, coordinated and executed as required. The Director of Operations is also primarily responsible for leading day-to-day business objectives, budgets, and cash flow to ensure successful organizational progress. The Director of Operations is responsible for assembling and managing a highly skilled Operations team.
Qualifications and Responsibilities: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to successfully perform the job as well as the education and experience requirements.
- Create and manage the overall operational, financial, accounting, and HR operations of the Qatar America Institute for Culture.
- Oversee payroll, employee benefits, billing, organizational assets (tangible and intangible), financial information and reporting, including but not limited to required financial filings, annual financial audit, and others.
- Develop new methods and strategies for formulating QAIC’s financial statements, KPIs, and other success and impact metrics in order to report to funders and sponsors.
- Manage and assign tasks to the Operations team.
- Ensure and oversee QAIC’s policies and procedures are in compliance with legal regulations and ethical standards.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment regularly.
- Attend QAIC events when required.
The Director of Operations is thoroughly committed to Qatar America Institute for Culture’s mission. Specific requirements include:
- At least 6 –8 years of senior operations and management experience, preferably in art & culture nonprofits, or seven years of experience and higher education degree (MA, MBA, or PhD).
- Proven record of organizational management skills with the ability to manage and evaluate staff
- Ability to develop and monitor budgets, sustain high-performance teams and tools, and set and achieve strategic objectives.
- Strong nonprofit accounting, finance, and human resources experience with knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent budgeting, data analysis, and presentation skills.
- Experience in nonprofit financial reporting and filling.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks and other financial, accounting, and HR tools.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Strong and confident leadership.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
Must be able to manually lift 25-pound boxes to a height of 3-4 feet.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential job responsibilities.
The office environment at 1319 18th St. NW and ability to access and perform work remotely (when required) through Office Suite and Applications.
Travel: not applicable (subject to change)
This job description does not imply that the stated requirements are the only expectations for the job. Incumbents are expected to perform any other duties that may be assigned. QAIC has the right to revise this job description at any time. QAICis an “at-will” employer and as such, neither this job description nor your signature constitutes any form of a contractual agreement between you and QAIC.
QAIC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a work environment that is free from all forms of discrimination in the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, a woman’s right to breastfeed, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity (including transgender and transitioning status), disability (physical or mental), age (18 and older), genetic information, marital status (including domestic partnership), veteran or military status, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance (subject to business standards), political affiliation, tobacco use, credit information, victim of or the family member of a victim of domestic violence, a sexual offense, stalking, or engagement in a related, protected activity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.