Connecting Creatives. Convening Communities. Celebrating Cultures.
Job Title: Director of Programs
Manager Title: Executive Director
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
The Qatar America Institute for Culture (QAIC) is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that creates, curates and executes programs and research that amplify the prominence of all forms of art and culture from the United States, Qatar, and the larger Arab and Islamic worlds.
Reporting to the Executive Director and Senior Director, and working with other Directors, the Director of Programs oversees the overall strategic and executive direction for the Qatar America Institute for Culture to ensure that institutional activities, research, impact, and overall programmatic efforts are initiated, coordinated, and executed as required. The Director of Programs is also primarily responsible for overseeing proposals and ideas for new initiatives, monitoring day-to-day organizational objectives, mission, and budgets to ensure successful organizational progress. The Director of Programs is responsible for assembling and managing the Programs team.
Qualifications and Responsibilities: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to successfully perform the job as well as the education and experience requirements.
- Create and manage the overall strategy, plans, evaluation metrics, delivery, and content creation for activities and events as part of the Qatar America Institute for Culture.
- Oversee the development of new ideas and research for use in QAIC’s various initiatives and programs(including but not limited to art exhibitions, cultural enrichment, community outreach).
- Develop new program proposals and methods for extending QAIC’s impact, mission, and funding among targeted audiences.
- Direct and Manage the Programs team.
- Develop and control Programs budget.
- Establish, maintain, and grow relations with key contacts in art & culture and business who can assist QAIC in achieving its mission.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment regularly.
- Attend QAIC events when required.
The Director of Programs is thoroughly committed to Qatar America Institute for Culture’s mission. Specific requirements include:
- At least 6 –8 years of senior programming and management experience, preferably in art & culture nonprofits and/or museum management, or seven years of experience and higher education degree (MA, MBA, or PhD).
- knowledge of the Middle East and Arab & Islamic cultures.
- Proven record of organizational management skills with the ability to effectively manage and evaluate staff
- Ability to develop and monitor budgets, sustain high-performance teams and tools, and set and achieve strategic objectives.
- Strong speaking and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.•Experience with curatorial and exhibition work.
- Excellent researcher and communicator with interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- An extensive list of media contacts.
- Proficiency in WordPress and other blogging and analytics tools.
- Experience in stakeholder/community engagement.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Strong and confident leadership.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
Must be able to manually lift 25-pound boxes to a height of 3-4 feet.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential job responsibilities.
The office environment at 1319 18th St. NW and ability to access and perform work remotely (when required) through Office Suite and Applications.
Travel: not applicable (subject to change)
This job description does not imply that the stated requirements are the only expectations for the job. Incumbents are expected to perform any other duties that may be assigned. QAIC has the right to revise this job description at any time. QAICis an “at-will” employer and as such, neither this job description nor your signature constitutes any form of a contractual agreement between you and QAIC.
QAIC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a work environment that is free from all forms of discrimination in the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, a woman’s right to breastfeed, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity (including transgender and transitioning status), disability (physical or mental), age (18 and older), genetic information, marital status (including domestic partnership), veteran or military status, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance (subject to business standards), political affiliation, tobacco use, credit information, victim of or the family member of a victim of domestic violence, a sexual offense, stalking, or engagement in a related, protected activity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.