On 03-04 November 2019 U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin visited Qatar to meet with senior government officials and discuss the strategic U.S.-Qatar relationship in various security, financial, and banking sectors.
During the 2 day trip to Doha, Secretary Mnuchin met with the following Qatar leaders:
– His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Amir of Qatar. The Secretary highlighted the significant economic and security partnership between the U.S. and Qatar. Secretary Mnuchin and His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani discussed collaborative efforts to counter terrorist financing networks and strengthen Qatar’s Anti-Money Laundering/Counterterrorism regime and other national security issues.
– His Excellency Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani, Prime Minister of Qatar. Secretary Mnuchin and the Prime Minister discussed collaborative efforts to counter-terrorism finance networks and strengthen Qatar’s AML/CFT regime. The Secretary reaffirmed the important economic and security relationship between the U.S. and Qatar.
– His Excellency Ali Shareef al-Emadi, Qatari Minister of Finance. The Secretary emphasized the strong bilateral relationship between the U.S. and Qatar. Secretary Mnuchin discussed efforts to counter terrorism financing along with other national security and economic issues of mutual concern.
– Her Excellency Sheikha Hind bint Hamad Al Thani of Qatar, Vice-Chairperson and Chief Executive Officer of the Qatar Foundation. The Secretary and Sheikha expressed their shared belief in the transformative power of education and discussed the Qatar Foundation’s work to support economic and social development through initiatives in education, science and research, and community development.
– His Excellency Sheikh Abdulla bin Saoud Al Thani, Qatari Central Bank Governor. The Secretary reaffirmed the strong economic relationship between the U.S. and Qatar. Secretary Mnuchin discussed combating terrorist financing.
(Image Source: Twitter – USAmbQatar)